Updated: Mar 6, 2020
This is the definition of Yemeni comfort food.
No Yemeni breakfast is complete without this rich bean stew. Almost every Middle Eastern Country has its variation of this staple. Double this recipe for a large brunch party or breakfast picnic.
Ful is also the perfect dish to share with your vegetarian and vegan friends. It is very simple to make and heats up very easily (tastes even better the next day). Ful also freezes very well, so make it part of your weekly meal prep.
You can also swap one can of fava beans with chickpeas. Watch the video below for easy to follow steps.
3 tbsp olive oil ثلاثة ملاعق ك زيت زيتون
2 cups diced yellow onion كبايتين بصل أصفر مقطع
1 cup diced sweet green pepper كباية بيبار أخضر مقطع
1 tbsp hot chili pepper (optional) ملعقة ك فلفل حار
2 cups diced tomatoes كبايتين طماطم مقطعة
2 cans Ful Medamas or peeled fava beans علبتين فول مدمس
You can also swap one of the cans for chickpeas for a different twist
10 cloves garlic عشرة حبات ثوم
1/2 tbsp tomato paste نص ملعقة ك صلصة طماطم مركزة
1 tbsp Yemeni Hawayij ملعقة ك خلطة بهارات يمنية
If you don't have the Hawayij, you can use a tsp of cumin, coriander, and black pepper
1 tsp salt ملعقة ص ملح
1/2 cup chopped parsley نص كباية بقدونس (optional)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro ربع كباية كزبرة
1/2 cup water نص كباية ماء
Here's the recipe using chickpeas with ful!
1. In a deep cast iron pot, heat 2 T of olive oil and saute onions and peppers over high
heat until golden brown. Add diced tomatoes and 6 minced garlic cloves. Continue to stir occasionally until tomatoes are fully cooked down.
2. Add tomato paste, Yemeni Hawayij, salt and optional spicy peppers. Mix well then add 2 cans of beans with all its contents. Add 1/2 cup of water to each can to fully rinse out remaining Ful flavorings from the can.
3. Reduce heat to low and use potato hand masher to mash beans into onion and tomato mixture. Continue to mix and mash until you reach your desired consistency. You may also use an immersion blender.
4. In a saute pan, heat 1 T of olive oil and fry 4 minced garlic cloves. Be very careful not to burn, this may only take 1-2 minutes. Stir garlic and oil into bean stew. Continue to simmer stew over low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Remove off heat and stir in chopped parsley and cilantro. Drizzle with high quality olive oil and serve with warm bread for dipping.