I'm not sure what the origins of this dish are. I just know that I grew up not enjoying it, learned to like it by the time I was a teen, and now I am obsessed with it. I've only ever had it at my maternal grandmother's Yemeni home and my mom eventually taught me how to make it as a young adult. It is one of my favorite comfort food dishes and I am so excited for all of you to try it!!
We love serving it at gatherings and large parties. It is also perfect as a "one dish meal" which also makes excellent leftovers because it reheats so easily. I've never tried it with ground lamb, turkey, or chicken but definitely will soon!
2 cups all purpose flour كبايتين دقيق أبيض
3/4 cup wheat flour ثلاث ارباع كباية دقيق أسمر
3/4 cup ground flaxseed ثلاث ارباع كباية دقيق حبوب الكتان
1 tsp salt ملعقة ص ملح
1-2 tbsp active dry yeast (depends on how fresh your yeast is) ملعقة او ملعقتين ك خميرة حسب الجودة
1 tbsp baking powder ملعقة ك بيكنق بودر
2 tbsp sugar ملعقتين ك سكر
3/4 cup olive oil ثلاث ارباع كباية زيت زيتون
1-1.5 cups warm water كباية او كباية و نص ماء دافئ
1 tbsp extra olive oil ملعقة ك زيت زيتون
2 eggs for brushing بيضتين للدهن
2 tbsp poppy seeds for garnish ملعقتين من حبوب النوم او بذور الخشخاش
Meat Mixture: خلطة اللحم
1.5 lbs ground beef ٧٠ كيلو لحمة مفرومة بقري
2 large yellow onions, diced بصلتين صفراء كبيرة
2 tbsp minced garlic ملعقتين ك ثوم مهروس
1 tsp turmeric ملعقة ص كركم
1 tsp cumin ملعقة ص كمون
1 tsp garlic powder ملعقة ص ثوم بودرة
1 tsp paprika ملعقة ص بابريكا
1 tsp dried coriander ملعقة ص كزبرة ناشفة
1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning ملعقة ص بهار لحم مشكل
2 tsp salt ملعقتين ص ملح
2 cups minced parsley كبايتين بقدونس مفروم
Tahini Mixture: (you will have extra leftover) خلطة الطحينية
16 oz tahini paste علبة طحينية
1 1/4 cup water كباية وربع ماء
1 cup lemon juice (you can also do 50/50 lime and lemon juice) كباية عصير ليمون
1 tsp salt ملعقة ص ملح
1 tsp black pepper ملعقة ص فلفل أسود
1 tbsp olive oil ملعقة ك زيت زيتون
1 tbsp crushed garlic ملعقة ك ثوم مهروس
1. Whisk dough's dry ingredients until well combined. Using the dough handle on your Kitchenaid, set speed to medium low and slowly begin to drizzle in the olive oil and warm water.
2. Increase speed to medium and continue beating until dough slightly starts releasing from the sides of the bowl. Drizzle in an extra tablespoon of olive oil around the side of the bowl which will allow the dough to release.
3. Use a spatula to combine the dough into one ball, then transfer over to oiled round baking dish. Flatten the dough using your hand like a pie and form it so the dough comes up the sides. Cover with a dish towel and set aside.
4. Heat a deep pot over medium high heat and add ground beef. Break up the meat into small pieces and continue cooking while mixing occasionally. Keep doing so until the meat releases water, evaporates, then begins to brown.
5. Once the meat is browned, add the diced onions and crushed garlic cloves. Continue cooking and stirring regularly until the onions are translucent.
6. Add all dry spices to the meat mixture and continue to cook for just another 5 minutes or so. Set aside to cool.
7. In a bowl, mix all tahini mixture ingredients. You will have extra left over.
8. Uncover the dough and use your hand to slightly flatten the middle.
9. Add 2/3 of the tahini mixture to the meat and mix until very well combined. You can add a little more if you feel like your meat mixture isn't moist enough. Be careful not to add too much, or else it will be too soaked.
10. Use the back of a spoon to distribute the meat mixture and smooth over the top.
11. Sprinkle poppy seeds all over the top of the meat pie.
12. In a bowl, whisk 2 eggs and brush them over the edges of the pie crust. Pour the remaining egg-wash over the middle section of the meat pie and gently spread evenly.
13. Bake in a 350F oven until golden brown.
14. Allow the meat pie to cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting into it to preserve its shape.
Serve with lemons and freshly cut vegetables like tomatoes, romaine lettuce, and cucumber spears.
To reheat, cut your desired slice and bake or toast until dough crusts up and center is warm.
Try making this dish in smaller muffin tins for individually served meat pies.
This dish also freezes well. Prepare the dish but leave out the egg-wash at the end. When you are ready to bake, take it out of the freezer, brush top with egg-wash, then bake.